The beginning of the History of the Church land of Tagore Nagar dates back to 1902. At the beginning, the land about 10 acres comprising of Tagore Nagar, Jeevanandhapuram, was bought by the Catholic Diocese from some Catholics who lived in the first decade of the 20th Century.
Vinoba Nagar (known as Pakkamudayanpet) and St. Paulpet from Nellithope Parish and Thattanchavady from Reddiyarpalayam Parish were added to Tagore Nagar Parish to form New Parish.
St. Joseph’s Church at Vinoba Nagar, St. Paul The Hermit Church at St. Paulpet , Fatima Church at Thattanchavady were already existing.
Nearly 5 acres of Church land was occupied by the people of Jeevanandhapuram. They refused to vacate . The diocese decided to sell each plot for Rs.500/- In the diocese, they decided to built a church and erect a Parish to protect the remaining land.
Eventually the erection of the Holy Spirit Church at Tagore Nagar took place in 1973,and Fr.A.M.Gnanapragasam was appointed as visiting Parish Priest. In 1974 Fr. Inniah was officially appointed the first Parish Priest of Tagore Nagar. In1974 the first Parish Church (with Asbestos roofing) was built and in 1975, the presbytery (ground floor) was built. In 1982 May 4th a small renovated Chapel was built and inaugurated by the then Parish Priest (Fr. Inniah).
On 15th June 1982, 2 Salesians arrived at Holy Spirit Church, Tagore Nagar.
On 24th August 1982, the Holy Spirit Church was entrusted to the Salesians of Don Bosco permanently with 3 Substations and 4500 Catholics. Tagore Nagar, Vinoba Nagar, Thattanchavady and St. Paulpet were officially given by Most Rev. Dr. V.S. Selvanather, the Archbishop of Pondy-Cuddalore to Fr. Benjamin Puthotta the Salesian Provincial. Fr. Joseph Antony Irudayaraj was the first Salesian Parish Priest of the Holy Spirit Church at Tagore Nagar.